I made this salad for Easter and it was too good not to share. I did forget the avocado, but it still tasted amazing. This recipe comes from tomatoes on the vine.
1-1/2 lbs. fresh asparagus
1/2 cup olive oil, divided
1/2 teaspoon lemon pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
1 garlic clove, minced
1 cup halved cherry tomatoes
1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
1 head Bibb lettuce, torn into bite-size pieces
1 avocado, sliced
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Snap off and discard tough ends of asparagus; remove scales with a vegetable peeler, if desired.
2. Stir together 1 tablespoon olive oil, 1-1/2 teaspoons chopped basil, 1/2 teaspoon lemon pepper, and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a large bowl.
3. Add asparagus to olive oil mixture, and toss gently to coat. Place asparagus on a lightly greased baking sheet.
4. Bake asparagus at 425 degrees F. for 13 to 15 minutes or to desired degree of tender ness. Cool 10 minutes.
5. Whisk together balsamic vinegar, garlic, and remaining 7 tablespoons olive oil, 1 tablespoon basil, and 1/4 teaspoon salt.
6. Toss together tomatoes, bell pepper, onion, and 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar mixture.
7. Arrange lettuce on individual serving plates or arrange pretty. Top with tomato mixture and asparagus. Add avocado just before serving. Drizzle with remaining balsamic vinegar mixture.